I was talking to a friend who wanted to learn how to use Instagram, and I made a list of tips for her to start with, and it occurred to me they were valid for everyone! Pilates Studios, Retail Businesses, and even Rodeo Athletes.
- Post every day. Instagram even more when you are at an event or when you are holding a special event at your business. Consistency is the key to getting followers.
- When you are at an event tag the event in every post. When you’re writing your caption, just type the @ symbol followed by the event’s Instagram handle (be sure there are no spaces between the symbol and the name).
- Make sure your Instagram account follows the Event that you are attending.
- See if the event social media team are using specific hashtags by following them. Sometimes they have a display of the Instagram feed of their specific hashtag showing on monitors throughout the event. For instance, we’ve been at Rodeo Houston this week, and they show selfies tagged with #RodeoHouston on the big screens in NRG Stadium throughout the event. Imagine if those selfies happened in your booth in the retail area!
- Be aware of potential influencers with large followings that might be able to impact your business in a positive way. Influencer marketing (also influence marketing) is a form of marketing in which focus is placed on influential people rather than the target market as a whole. It identifies the individuals that have influence over potential buyers, and orients marketing activities around these influencers. Learn from these influencers. Learn what hash tags they use, maybe even invite them to follow your business or meet with you via Instagram.
- Follow other people & businesses (potential clients, and influencers) and comment on their posts. Be ware(I don’t know the exact algorithms but you want to be active enough so that if someone likes a business similar to yours that your business comes up as a suggestion when people like a business with similar products.)
- Think of hash tags as a file folder label. Not necessarily a description of the product but something someone not familiar with your business would search for to find similar products. If you get too specific they don’t work cuz no one will think of it. Find influencers and use hashtags they use. In Pilates terminology — the folder label is nearly always #Pilates; as people who aren’t Pilates practitioners would now know the specific exercise such as #NeckPull. Remember that the person who is searching via hashtags would have to type your hashtag with an exact match to find it – so shorter, more generic hashtags will help people find your posts.
- Use repost app to repost when someone mentions you! Here’s a link — and the directions come up when you open the app. People love to be reposted, and this app shows your account name in the pic that is reposted — so y ou will likely get new followers! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/repost-for-instagram/id570315854?mt=8
- Have fun and show your personality! Almost no one wants to read a barrage of “sales-y” posts, and people respond to stories! Relationships are the cornerstone of media relationships, so if you can be likeable and more memorable, bloggers and journalists will be more apt to get to know you.
- Interact with followers and other accounts to spark growth. Remember when your Mom used to try to tell you how to do something and you tuned her out cuz she just wouldn’t stop to listen? You don’t want your account to be like that. Make sure you reply if someone comments on your post, and it’s always good to interact with others on their accounts!
I hope these tips help you! I’d love to hear your comments and what things you have tried that work for growing your instagram following!
Leave a Reply